For these experiments use either acrylic or gouache paints on primed canvas, water-soluble paper or wood surface.
Materials needed to try experiment: small container for mixing, string or medium link chain, brush or stick for mixing paint and water, hand protection (if required).
- Prepare a mixture of mostly paint and water proper for the length of string.
- Soak the string in the mixture until thoroughly covered.
- Allow excess moisture to drain from string and apply to surface.
- Remove from surface and leave to dry.
Materials needed for this experiment: paint brush, palette for mixing paint, small vinyl,rubber and/or rigid plastic from packaging suitable for repeat impression (ex: chocolate or cookie packaging).
- Choose one or more objects to use for stamping a repeat pattern.
- Mix paint or apply with a brush directly from paint tube on stamp.
- Stamp the design on a surface in a distinct or random pattern. Try using different colors, overlap and variations of paint on the stamp.
Materials needed for this experiment: old or worn paint brushes, palette
- Choose and mix color in palette.
- Dip brush in paint mixture and apply to surface in a wiping motion until the brush is clean.
- Repeat the process with more color varying pressure and angle of brush on surface.
Spray and Drip
Materials needed for this experiment: small spray or squirt container, water,brush or stick to mix
- Fill the bottle with enough mostly paint and water mixture to allow spray. Shake thoroughly.
- Spray mixture on surface. Immediately turn the surface in various directions allowing the paint to drip at different angles.
- Allow surface to dry thoroughly before applying other colours.